:: Thursday, November 23, 2006 ::

Rockin' With Ted

Ted Chippington that is. I am on record as being a great admirer of Ted Chippington. For those of you not in the know, Ted was the greatest stand-up comic of the '80s.

Typical Ted routine, courtesy of wikipedia:
"I was walking down the road the other day, this chap drove up beside me and said, 'Excuse me, mate, I'm in a dilemma.' I said, 'Aye, good motors, Dilemmas. I was thinking of buying one myself. A red one perhaps.'"

"I was walking down the road the other day, this chap walked up to me and said 'Do you want to buy some grass, mate?' I said 'No thanks, mate, I've got crazy paving. Haven't got a garden, you see.'"

"I was walking down the road the other day, this chap walked up to me and said 'Do you want to buy some LSD, mate?' I said 'No thanks, mate, We've gone decimalised now. You know, pounds, shillings and pence - no use to me any more.'"

"I was walking down the road the other day, this chap came up to me. I said to him, 'Haven't seen you for a while.' He said 'Well, I've just got back from Nam.' I said, 'What, you mean Vietnam?' He said 'No, mate, Chelt'nam.'"

"I look forward to when I've got a car and I can drive down the road, so I won't get all these characters coming up to me."


Ted has been revived, found religion and is now the Rev. Ted. There are plans to release a box set of his complete works in 2007. He has a MySpace. He is currently doing a few tour dates but none anywhere near me unfortunately. If you get the chance please go and see him. You won't regret it.

Here is a rather untypical example of Ted at work. This is a collaboration with label-mates Fuzzbox and The Nightingales on Ted's song Rocking with Rita.



Another one on YouTube.


:: Alister | 10:26 am | save this page to del.icio.us Save This Page | permalink⊕ | |

2 Comments:

Head to toe. Rocking with Rita would certainly be in my all time top ten favourites. I've got it on a well worn tape so I look forward to the box set. Glad to see he's touring again.

Paul
www.of-course-blog.co.uk

By Blogger Paul, at 1:20 pm  

I particularly liked Ted's response to one heckler (didn't actually hear this, sadly) -

"I was walking down the road the other day -"
"Heard it!"
"No, you're wrong. You think you've heard it, but this isn't the one you're thinking of. I was walking down the road the other day..."

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 pm  

Post a Comment


This is an archived story. See current posts here!