:: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 ::

ENHS - Sounds - Very Early Recorded Sound

ENHS - Sounds - Very Early Recorded Sound: "** Transcript of Arthur Sullivan's message to Edison upon introduction to the phonograph:
' . . . For myself, I can only say that I am astonished and somewhat terrified at the results of this evening's experiment -- astonished at the wonderful power you have developed, and terrified at the thought that so much hideous and bad music may be put on record forever. But all the same, I think it is the most wonderful thing that I have ever experienced, and I congratulate you with all my heart on this wonderful discovery.' "

Very prescient note from Mr Sullivan, recorded in 1888 and as such one of the earliest recordings in existence. This archive from the Edison National Historic Site is excellent.


:: Alister | 5:06 pm | save this page to del.icio.us Save This Page | permalink⊕ | |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


This is an archived story. See current posts here!